logo for the website of Fathers for Life
Fatherlessness, the lack of natural fathers in children's lives
| Home | In The News | Our Blog | Contact Us | RSS button | Share

Fathers for Life Site-Search

2013 04 15: Symantec (makers and distributors of Norton Antivirus) and O2 now filter/block the website of Fathers for Life and *BOTH* of its affiliated blogs. Click for details.

 Site Map (very large file)
 Table of Contents
 Children—Our most valued assets?
 Educating Our Children for the Global Gynarchia
 Child Support
 Civil Rights & Social Issues
 Family Law
 Destruction of Families
 Divorce Issues
 Domestic Violence
 Gay Issues
 Hate, Hoaxes and Propaganda
 Help Lines for Men
 Law, Justice and The Judiciary
 Mail to F4L
 Men's Issues
 The Politics of "Sex"
 Our Most Popular Pages
 Email List
 References - Bibliography

You are visitor

since June 19, 2001

Be notified of
page updates
it's private
powered by



Yes, the website for Fathers for Life and its affiliated blog are being slandered and censored. (Click for Details)

If you are a fathers-rights or pro-family activist, then it is quite likely that your website or blog is being, slandered and censored, too. (Click to check that out)


Infanticide — "SIDS" in Australia; four children killed in one family

Proving that women who kill no more than one of their infants get away with murder, Kathleen Folbigg's husband, who had found her diary, raised the suspicion of the authorities only after she had killed her fourth child of her four children she had killed, a 19-month-old baby girl.
   Mind, you, if her husband would not have found her diary, she would have gotten away with murdering that child, too.
Fri, May 23, 2003

"Murder in the nursery"
Australian mom killed her 4 babies

By Michele Mandel

It seemed a tragic coincidence - at first.

Craig and Kathleen Folbigg's first son died in his sleep at 19 days old. Their next child, Patrick, died two years later at nine months.

Still, it was after their fourth baby died before Australian police suspected something was terribly wrong.

In Sydney's New South Wales State Supreme Court this week, Kathleen Folbigg, 35, was found guilty of killing all four of her babies.

The jury's work would have been made much easier if they had been allowed to read Folbigg's entire secret diary. In it, she practically confesses to following in her dad's deadly footsteps.

"Obviously I am my father's daughter," the Australian woman wrote in her diary Oct. 14, 1996, having already killed three of her four children.

"But I think losing my temper and being frustrated and everything has passed. I now just let things happen and go with the flow. An attitude I should of had with all my children, if given the chance, I'll have it with the next one."

Folbigg was pregnant at the time with her fourth child. She would go on to kill her as well.

This week, with a jury rejecting her defence that all four had died naturally of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, Folbigg became Australia's worst convicted female serial killer.

It was only after the verdict was returned that people learned that murder runs in her family. Her father killed her mother after she had abandoned them when Folbigg was just 18 months old. After refusing his pleas to come home to their crying baby, he stabbed her 27 times with a butcher knife.

With her mother dead and her father shipped off to prison, Folbigg was first sent to a church orphanage and later placed with foster parents.

She seemed to put her tragic past behind her until her older foster sister married and had a baby. Angry at all the attention diverted to the infant, Folbigg turned bitter and cold. But no one suspected that she would turn that anger on the defenceless children she would later bear over a decade.

Folbigg smothered 19-day-old Caleb in 1989, eight-month-old Patrick in 1991, 11-month-old Sarah in 1993 and 19-month-old Laura in 1999. Court heard the odds of four unexplained infant deaths happening in one family with children under two years old were one in a trillion.

Her first child's death was blamed on SIDS. After her husband begged for another child, Patrick was born. He was four months old when Folbigg "discovered" that he, too, had died. But she had screamed this time, too soon. Ambulance attendants revived him, but he was left with massive brain damage. Folbigg wanted to leave her husband then -- and the child. Her husband and sister-in-law talked her out of it.

Four months later, she struck again. This time, she made sure Patrick was dead.

Medical authorities would blame an epileptic fit.

While her husband was devastated, Folbigg seemed to move on easily, going to work at a baby store and going dancing with her friends.

Yet she was the one who insisted on having more children, even leaving her husband for several weeks when he refused her demand for a fourth after Sarah died at 11 months.

Ultimately, she won and Laura, that fourth baby, would survive the longest. In her diary, Folbigg wrote that her youngest and most well-behaved child must have received messages from her dead brothers and sister. "She's a fairly good-natured baby, thank goodness," she wrote. "It has saved her from the fate of her siblings. I think she was warned."

But Laura, too, would suffer their tragic fate.

Folbigg laughed and joked at Laura's wake and was back at the gym the first Monday after her cremation.

Why didn't any doctor, hospital or social worker realize what was going on?

The Folbigg children's deaths failed to attract suspicion partly because the family moved regularly and changed doctors and hospitals for the births.

It was only after her fourth child died that alarm bells finally sounded. At 19 months, Laura was considered too old to be a victim of SIDS. When the cause was deemed "undetermined" the coroner ordered a police investigation.

And what of Folbigg's husband?

"I had had the odd suspicions," he would tell the court, "but it was really hard to get my brain around it."

After Folbigg left him following Laura's death, he found one of her diaries in their bedside table. He couldn't believe what he read.

"I started to think, 'Oh God, did she do this?'" he said.

"It was too horrible to think of. It frightened me; it worried me; it sickened me."

He went to the police.

On Wednesday, June 11, 1997, Folbigg wrote in her diary: "My brain has too much happening, unstored and unrecalled memories just waiting. Heaven help the day they surface and I recall. That will be the day to lock me up and throw away the key. Something I'm sure will happen one day."

And so it shall. Sentencing submissions begin in August.

Copyright 2003, CANOE, a division of Netgraphe Inc.All rights reserved.

White RoseThe White Rose
Thoughts are Free

See also:

Posted 2003 05 23
2013 03 08 (removed reference to dvstats.org -- website no longer functions)